To utilize the power of social media to increase engagement, one needs to walk a careful line. Social media itself is a very powerful tool, there is no denying the same. However, success on social media doesn’t have a clear definition.
In reality, success on social media is indeed a matter of opinion. Most people normally associate the level of engagement an account generates as a metric of success. However, not everyone is trying to utilize the power of social media to increase engagement. Some have other goals they wish to achieve with their social media following.
However, this piece is dedicated solely to the use of social media to increase engagement.
Read More: 5 Social media marketing Tips
Debunking Misconception about Social Media Engagement
Social media engagement is the primary objective of many companies starting to turn to social media for better marketing outcomes. And yet, there is little understanding amongst companies about what they wish to achieve with greater social media engagement. In other words, if a company starts seeing more likes, comments, and shares on its social media content, how does this increased engagement help? Is this engagement helping in key objectives like increase in sales, lead generation, ORM, and so on?
Before companies try to utilize the power of social media to increase engagement, it is wise to learn what it’s good for. In short, companies must know how to leverage social media engagement to their benefit.
This is important because an empty increase in social media engagement doesn’t help a company. Every like, share, and comment must move a brand towards a central objective. The obsession with likes and followers is hollow because it means nothing if the brand doesn’t see material benefit.
In this piece, we will discuss how to utilize social media engagement to meet material objectives companies generally have. Furthermore, we will also cover methods using which companies can utilize the power of social media to increase engagement.
How to Utilize Power of Social Media to Increase Engagement?
How does one increase social engagement?
There are endless ways to bring greater engagement on social media. Generally, the job of a social media professional is to deploy the right method to boost engagement.
While there are many ways to use social media to increase engagement around a brand, some are more important than others. In fact, these few ways are essential for the growth of engagement for any given brand. In the following points, we will discuss these methods in short.
Make Content the Centre Piece
The most straightforward way to use social media to increase engagement is creating better content. Whether this means bringing value through blog posts, newsletters, or YouTube videos, content is the easiest way to attract a large audience and enhance engagement.
Think of any major influencer on Instagram or YouTube. Then think about how the influencer managed to accumulate such a large following? By bringing value through content, these influencers built their audience and are now at the pinnacle of their field.
If a company indeed wishes to use social media to increase engagement, it must first set in place a framework to enhance the quality of content.
Choose the Right Platform
If your company plans to improve social media engagement with the help of ten different platforms, there is a good chance of failure.
Using social media to increase engagement should be a very surgical process.
In other words, brands must think about specific social media platforms most used by their audience. This approach is helpful for a number of reasons. Firstly, it sharpens the focus of a brand and makes sure the content it creates reaches the target audience. Secondly, all resources are used in the most efficient way possible.
Paid marketing is an effective way to use social media to increase engagement. However, it must be deployed with a strategy in mind.
There is a time when paid marketing pays off. Knowing when this time comes is the job of a social media professional.
The balance between inbound and outbound marketing is crucial for the use of social media to increase engagement. Brands that are able to figure out this aspect of social media marketing invariably succeed more often.
Generally, companies try to establish a base of organic engagement before using paid marketing. However, these tactics change depending on the goals of a social media campaign. In any case, the important part is balancing both inbound and outbound practices.
How to Boost Social Media to Increase Engagement and Meet Key Objectives?
Working to boost social media engagement is a form of marketing. Thus, just as marketing is tied to certain objectives, social media engagement must also work within an outcome-driven framework.
However, if the objective of a social media campaign is to get a certain number of likes or shares, does such an objective help a company? Professionals working to improve social media engagement must also think about how an increase in social media metrics helps a company reach its real objective.
What are the goals a company generally has when it wants to improve social media engagement? Some common goals include sales, lead generation, ORM, brand management, and traffic increase.
All these goals can be met with a definitive social media strategy to increase engagement. However, there is first a need to know how each of these goals can be achieved with the different ways to increase social media engagement.
Moving forward, we will discuss how common marketing objectives can be met when companies make an effort to increase social media engagement.
Increase Online Sales
The most common goal companies have is increasing online sales. With the different ways to increase social media engagement, achieving this goal is possible.
How does one grow sales with a social media strategy to increase engagement?
- Choose the social media platform most popular with the target audience. For example, if you are in the business of selling clothes online, promoting your brand on a platform like Instagram is a great idea. On the other hand, if you’re trying to increase paid subscriptions to your online political newsletter, Twitter is a better platform. Thus, professionals must make sure they choose the platform most used by their target audience.
- Try to provide value before selling anything. Remember, people online don’t buy something immediately. They first develop a level of trust in a brand before thinking of making a purchase. Thus, it is imperative for professionals to first provide value through content before making an attempt to sell anything.
- Use paid marketing for lower funnel prospects. Selling more is a matter of making more conversions. Who are the people closer to buying something? Generally, such people are considered lower funnel prospects. To increase sales, the simple trick every company can use is use paid marketing to reach lower funnel prospects. How does one specifically reach this specific segment of the audience? Marketers have to use the targeting capabilities of social media platforms carefully. To increase customer engagement on social media with paid marketing without making conversions is a waste of money. Thus, it is vital to reach the right people to increase sales with paid marketing.
These are the ways to increase engagement on social media and further grow sales. The aforementioned tips are only some ways to boost sales with an increase in social engagement. Professionals can use other methods as well.
Another essential marketing objective for a company is lead generation. In fact, it is one of the most common goals companies have when they start digital marketing.
Social media today has become a crucial arena for generating leads. There are many ways to boost social media engagement for lead generation. However, it is also important for a company to choose specific lead generation techniques which ensure quality along with quantity. Remember, even lead generation is futile if the number of leads converted are not enough.
How does a company use the different ways to improve social media engagement to generate quality leads?
- Build a proper strategy. This generally implies deciding how exactly a brand is going to use social media to generate leads. There are many different ways to think about this problem. Some brands try to send incoming leads to the business website where the conversion takes place. Others try to promote lead magnets on social media to generate leads. There is even a way to generate leads directly with the help of paid marketing. A brand must identify which strategy suits its interests the most.
- Keep trying new ways to generate leads. One of the best things about lead generation is that the response is almost immediate. Companies can immediately figure out whether their ways to improve social media engagement is actually helping generate leads. Thus, the best thing for a company to do is keep trying new techniques to generate leads. This includes mixing up content practices on social media posts to increase engagement.
These are generally the ways companies can grow their number of leads with social media campaign ideas to build fans & increase engagement. Professionals can use other ways to generate leads.
Read More: Lead Generation
There is a long history of brands trying to increase customer engagement on social media for branding purposes. People today spend half their waking hours on digital devices. Thus, it is perfectly natural for companies to maintain their brand image and reputation through digital platforms.
Using social media posts to increase engagement is one thing. However, to use different ways to improve social media engagement for the purpose of real ORM is another.
ORM often gets the backseat when people talk about digital marketing. However, it an extremely effective way to maintain brand image. Small companies don’t see the value in ORM at first. This is partly because they’re not known well enough to worry about brand reputation. Yet, any small company that wishes to make it big one day has to think about ORM.
Here are a few ways to increase social media engagement in order to help with brand image and ORM outcomes.
- Create brand persona with the right content tactics. The main point of ORM is to create a solid profile of a company on digital platforms. Social media posts to increase engagement is a very basic way of thinking. Instead, professionals must try to understand how their approach to content can shape the perception of a brand on social media.
- Choose the right channels to build a solid reputation. If you have a B2B model at your company, it is more beneficial to focus on LinkedIn rather than Instagram or Reddit for ORM purposes.
- Have a crisis management plan. The importance of ORM is best learned during a media crisis. Thus, professionals must know how to use social media to increase engagement during a time of crisis.
There are many other goals where the use of social media to increase engagement works well. We have discussed three here, but there are many more objectives which can be met with a significant improvement in social media engagement.
Some of these objectives include –
- Increase in Traffic – Growth in traffic can be achieved with the help of different techniques which use social media to increase engagement and bring website traffic
- Brand Management – Branding is crucial for both big and small companies today. With the help of methods which enhance social media engagement, key brand management objectives come within reach.
- Inbound Marketing Framework – Many brands today are moving away from paid marketing. Thus, any number of ways to improve social media engagement organically are naturally in demand.
In Conclusion – Using Social Media to Increase Engagement
We first covered how professionals use social media to increase engagement. In this day and age, there is no doubting the power of social media to increase engagement.
Secondly, we also covered how brands can convert social media engagement into material outcomes for a business. This is important for companies to know because empty social media engagement is useless unless it helps in meeting a real marketing objective.